Saturday, November 17, 2012

Eat, Create, Scavenge

Those words describe what I did all last weekend during my Whatever Craft Weekend adventure.

Upon arrival at the Craft House, we were given our room assignments. I slept in what used to be the playroom. Between colorful quilts and happy hoop art, it was quite the cozy room.


We wasted no time digging into the awesome food that Kimberlee, our chef extraordinaire, had prepared. Between homemade - yes, that's right homemade - cinnamon rolls and spinach-apple salad and savory harvest chili, the food was to die for. Oh, and did I forget to mention the fabulous cheesecake that makes an appearance at every Craft Weekend? And as if that weren't enough, this time she made a pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust. I think I'm having withdrawal - Must. Make. Cheesecake. Soon. (Needless to say all calorie counting went out the window for the weekend.)





After dinner Friday night, we got down to the business at hand - crafting. We started with the Craft Weekend signature ruffle apron. I have ruffle-apron envy every time Meg does a Craft Weekend recap post on her blog. I've never seen one apron that didn't look adorable. Of course, once she let us loose to pick out our fabric, I was completely overwhelmed. With hundreds of fabulous fabrics to choose from, how do you narrow it down to just five? I was afraid that I would be "the one" to make the first ugly apron. But guess what, that didn't happen. In fact, I honestly don't think that's even possible.

There were about 5 more buckets of fabric in every color of the rainbow.
 







The aprons kept us busy for quite a while. But oh about 11:30 or so we needed a little break so we headed off on our first field trip - Druber's Daylight Donuts. Apparently this local donut shop opens at 11:30 every night to serve hot donuts. Now remember, we're in small-town Kansas, but you walk in and the place is packed. It was the place to be if you were a local college student - or a middle-aged woman living on the edge at Craft Weekend.


A good night's rest (one that didn't include Princess Mia climbing into my bed at 4:00 a.m.) and a leisurely morning prepared us for our next field trip - thrifting and antiquing in Marion.
Note to future Craft Weekenders: When one is flying,
one must keep in mind how much they can realistically transport back home.
Over all I did fairly well. The antique Daisy BB gun provided some good laughs after having to show it to the TSA officials at the Wichita airport.


Some of my finds

Channeling my inner Annie Oakley
A trip to 'the barn' followed our in-town shopping. If I had a vehicle, this stop would have been very dangerous for my bank account. So much dusty, rusty goodness everywhere.



 
Sharing our treasures

Shopping has a way of working up a girl's appetite, so a quick trip to Sonic for happy hour was in order and then it was back to the house for a crafting marathon and more of Kimberlee's yummy food.







It was a crafty, antiquey (is that a word?), yummy kind of weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. I love this!!! Such great ideas. If only I had the time to do all the great projects I find. Loving your blog. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this weekend, I'm determined to make the time for all those great project. So do you have any cool antique-y, thrifty places near you? I'm all for exploring them now. We need to get a visit on the calendar and make it happen!

      Delete
  2. hey girl...SO MUCH goodness! i was actually over my limit at the airport. talk about a panic moment. that was the only bad part of the weekend. i couldn't get everything i wanted!! great pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you looked so cute in your polka dot shirt packing heat with that gun!
    :)
    it was so fun spending time with you!
    i am so glad you came.
    i am blessed to have met you angela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela! It was so fun to meet you!
    I am soooo happy that you made the long trip to Kansas and I might be emailing you for some more tips on places to visit when I go and visit my parents.
    By the way, Annie Oakley looks good on you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete