Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My "Whatever Craft Weekend" Adventure

What do you get when you bring together:
  • 12 women (most of whom were complete strangers),
  • 2 super cute and funky crafty helpers,
  • 1 absolutely fantastic house (in Kansas),
  • a plethora of craft supplies and food fit for queens,
  • more antiques and thrifty goodness than imaginable,
  • gorgeous swag from amazing sponsors,
  • topped with the piece de resistance - 2 of the sweetest, most hospitable women you've ever met?
One awesomely fabulous weekend! 


That's how I spent this past weekend. On Friday, I flew to Kansas to meet up with women from all over the U.S. to stay in a house that belonged to someone I had also never met. Who knew that letting a little of my inner spunkiness out would result in such a great experience? I had a blast.


I've been following Meg's blog, whatever, for several years now. And last year she and her friend Kimberlee started Whatever Craft Weekend. It was such a hit they had tons of readers asking to participate so they started a waiting list. E-mail them your name and they'd add you.

Meg and me

Kimberlee and me
But being the responsible, practical person I was, I thought, "Wow, that would be great!" but I'd probably never get picked, and if I did, I probably couldn't go. My dear hubby knew how much fun I thought this would be, so he secretly entered my name and told them I was turning 40 this year and this would be the ultimate gift. Kimberlee e-mailed him back and said that would be cool but the names are randomly chosen each time, so we'd just have to see what happened. He had done all he could do so he promptly forgot about it. That was back in the early part of the year.

Fast forward to early October (~2-3 weeks before my actual birthday). Hubby calls and asks what we had going on the weekend of November 9-11. I informed him that the boys would be on a mission trip but that was all. He said that I should plan to pack my bags then because I was going to Kansas. My name had been chosen for Craft Weekend. It couldn't have been more perfect timing.
 
Being from the mountains, I was shocked by how flat it was. You could see for miles!
So off I went to Kansas and met up with some great gals that I otherwise would have never had the pleasure to get to know. I also got to meet Meg in real life and she's just as great in person. So is Kimberlee. These ladies definitely have the gift of hospitality. Their mission is to provide a brief escape from the responsibilities and challenges that come with maintaining a household, raising kids, working, and on and on. And they do it so well - we weren't even allowed to carry our own dishes (that had been loaded with some really awesome food) to the sink! Do you know how hard that is for a mom not to do?
 
My awesome roomies - from Indiana, Oklahoma and Idaho
I have to admit I felt some pangs of mommy/wife guilt while getting everyone ready for their respective weekends away (the hubby took Princess Mia to visit the grandparents). But when my plane took off that guilt quickly flew out the window (yes - pun intended). Even mommies need a little adventure every now and then - and this was the perfect adventure for me!

I have so much more I want to share but it will have to wait for another post. I'm still catching up on laundry - but I don't care because I'm still riding high on the weekend's fun.

4 comments:

  1. Random comment from a complete stranger!! But I just wanted to say HOW COOL it was that your name got picked just in time for your birthday. I love reading about kismet like that! Such a beautiful home that Meg has created, the feeling you get inside is so joyful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not random - we're both fellow Craft Weekenders (just different weekends), right? :-) Seeing Meg's house made me come home and want to completely redo mine. I want to have happy everywhere like she does.

      Delete
  2. i don't think i heard that your husband entered your name?!!!
    that is so cool.
    i LOVE that.
    that is real love. :)
    if i did i hear it....let's blame it on sleep deprevation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your hubby did that for you! How sweet! (And I adore that shot of you holding the BB gun...) :)

    ReplyDelete