Friday, October 2, 2015

Day 2 – Overthinking God’s Promises



This is probably the only rainbow I’ll be seeing here in North Carolina for the next few days. We have plenty of the rain part, just none of the sun. I feel like I’ve moved to London with all the rain we’ve had lately.

Maybe that’s why this fun little cupcake rainbow jumped out at me as I was scrolling through some recent photos – that and the fact that I could really go for one of those cupcakes right now. (They were pretty yummy if I do say so myself.)

Actually I think this cupcake did more than get my salivary glands going - it helped drive home some lessons I’ve been learning, or rather re-learning, this week in my daily If:Equip Bible study. God is always faithful with His promises.

Maybe you’re like Sarah (Abraham’s wife) and have doubts that God is going to fulfill His promises because it seems like it’s taking too long or the circumstances seem beyond impossible. (Don’t know about you, but I get a little impatient sometimes – even with God.) Or maybe you’re a Noah, and people are looking at you like you have three heads because you’re stepping out in faith and complete obedience to what might appear to be a crazy request.

When I come up against those kind of situations, my overthinking kicks into high gear. 

“God, are You sure this is what you want me to do? I don't think I'm the right person for the job. 

“Is it really necessary for me to put myself out there like this?” 

“God, if this is really Your plan for me, then why is it taking so long for all the pieces to come together?”

So today when I saw the ‘rainbow,’ it was like God was using my own replica of His creation as a gentle reminder that I don’t need to overthink anything. He’s got it all under control.

Genesis 9:13 ~ I [God] have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment